I have just listened to a webinar by Dr Wade Gilbert, hosted by Human Kinetics, in which Dr Gilbert presented a toolkit to help make adherence to the core values central to the culture of the team or organisation – to “normalise the abnormal”, as he put it.
- define & repeatedly articulate the core values
- actively teach the core values
- often this will mean the coach modelling the desired values
- recruit players who already share the core values (not always possible at every level, admittedly)
- reward appropriate behaviours (and punish backsliding)